Some dogs think it’s fun to carry around a smelly present in their mouth for as long as possible before finally dropping it off somewhere on your property. For most dog owners this means having some sort of shoe protection plan at all times.
Dog poop is a terrible smell that just won’t go away. You can try to mask it with air fresheners or other scents, but the only way to get rid of the smell for good is by removing it from your shoes. In this article, we’ll show you how to get rid of the smell using baking soda, vinegar, bleach, and dish soap.
How to Get Dog Poop Smell Off Your Shoes?
Materials you need:
Method 1: Removing the Smell With Baking Soda and Vinegar
- Step 1: Get rid of any excess dog poop from your shoes. If you are wearing gloves, use them to scoop out as much solid matter as possible before continuing onto step two.
- Step 2: Pour about three tablespoons each of baking soda and vinegar into a cup and mix them together. If you want to, add in some dish soap as well for extra cleaning power before stirring the mixture together with a spoon until it forms an even paste.
- Step 3: Apply this baking soda-vinegar-soap paste onto your shoes directly where they smell like dog poop and leave it there overnight so it can work its magic.
- Step 4: In the morning, use a cloth or sponge to wipe away any leftover baking soda-vinegar paste and debris from your shoes before rinsing them out with warm water. The smell should be completely gone.
Method 2: Removing Dog Poop Smell With Dish Soap and Water
- Step 1: Pour some dish soap onto a rag or sponge and rub it all over your shoes where they smell like dog poop. Be sure to get the entire surface area of the shoe so you can eliminate as much of the odor as possible. When finished, rinse out your shoes with warm water until there is no more soap left on them.
- Step 2: Pour some vinegar into a bowl, then dip one end of your rag or sponge in it before rubbing the entire shoe again to remove any leftover soap residue. Rinse out with warm water once again until no more smell remains.
- Step 3: Lastly, sprinkle baking soda all over your shoes and leave them there for about fifteen minutes so they can absorb any leftover odors. After you’re finished, simply brush them away with a cloth or sponge before rinsing out your shoes again to ensure the smell is completely gone.
Method 3: Removing Dog Poop Smell With Bleach
- Step 1: Mix four tablespoons of bleach with one gallon of water. Be sure to mix it up well so you don’t have any clumps leftover in your solution before pouring the entire mixture into a spray bottle.
- Step 2: Spray this mixture onto your shoes where they smell like dog poop and leave them there for about fifteen minutes so the bleach can work its magic.
- Step 3: Rinse off your shoes with clean water to remove any traces of bleach before spraying them down one more time with the mixture to ensure all odors are eliminated. Leave this final layer on your shoes overnight to finish working, then wipe away in the morning.
- Step 4: Lastly, sprinkle baking soda all over your shoes to absorb leftover odors before brushing it away with a cloth or sponge for good. The smell should be completely gone by now.
Now that you know how to get rid of the stench from dog poop on your shoes, there’s no need to worry about carrying around smelly shoes for the rest of your life.
Dog poop is a terrible smell that can linger in your shoe no matter how hard you try to get rid of it, but these methods are guaranteed to eliminate any foul odor left behind when they’re finished working their magic.